1865 Blog - Alvin Cobb

April 30, 1865

My dear sister,

The war is over! Hallelujah! Lincoln said this war would be a Union victory during his second inaugural address and yes indeed it was. I remember reading his famous quote in the paper. “ With malice towards none; with charity for all... let us drive on to finish the work we are in: to bind up the nation’s wounds” always gives me chills justice imagining these great words being spoken by our leader. We have also have great news of 8000 of Lee’s men surrendering which is one third of his army. He tried to keep retreating west but unfortunately did not succeed. But with all this good news must come the bad news. Our Leader, Mr President Lincoln, was assassinated by the troubling actor, John Wilkes Booth. He shot Lincoln during a play of  “Our American Cousin” at Fords Theatre.I one day hope to meet Mr Lincoln for he has made me into the man I am today. He has made me and so many others able to have a future we never would’ve dreamed of. But although I am missing a leg, a last I can finally say the words I’ve prayed for so long to say, I’m now a free man and able to come home. God bless America.

See you soon,

Alvin Cobb

Comments