Melvin Thomas - Journal Entry


April 7, 1862

It's been a year since I joined the infantry,  and much has changed. McClellan is no longer the Union General, and the position has now been given to Ulysses S. Grant. He has been doing a good job, and we recently won the battle at Shiloh in Tennessee. It sure was a bloody fight, they say there were over 23,000 causalities  and I believe it. We got off to a rough start and it was looking bad, but soon General Grant's strategy came into play and we had them graybacks on the run I think I used the last of the minieballs in my cartidge box. I decided to name my  rifled musket Betsy, she's my best friend while i'm on picket duty. Well i gotta go it's time for the morning drills.


June 15, 1862

I haven't seen it first hand but I hear that General Lee has a new leader under his command named "Stonewall" Jackson. They say he brilliantly executes turning movements that can quickly out flank our forces. If I could get my hands on that butternut I'd shove him in a haversack, stuff him down the barrel of the nearest artillery, and fire him into a border state. Though he doesn't scare me but I've seen others try to desert. Those cowards are not better than walking dysentery! I heard General Jackson really had them scared when he deployed his troops onto Washington, DC. I wouldn't be surprised if he was assassinated by one of our brave yanks. They could draft me for that job. Here comes the sutler. Maybe I can forage for some greenback and get me some new shoes.

Comments

Post a Comment