1864 Blog - Alvin Cobb

September 5,1864

Dear sister,

As election season approaches, I worry if these new candidates are worthy of this position. Our former General, George McClellan, has been nominated by the Democratic Party. He has promised that if elected, he would end the war and restore the north. Us soldiers have little hope in McClellan for his ignorant attitude seems to be an issue. He is said to face off Lincoln in November which should be very interesting. Even if McClellan wins the election, I doubt he will be able to end the war immediately. Back in May, our troops were to face off the Confederates in Spotsylvania. However, we were highly outnumbered and not used to fighting in such dense wilderness. This battle of wilderness left our troops incinerated for the fire caused was uncontrollable. I do worry for the next showdown for the Confederates are highly advanced with riffles. I pray that these painful days shall end and that I shall see you soon. May God have faith in my destiny for I begin to wonder if my life shall end on the battle field.

With love,

Alvin Cobb

Comments