Letter for Family

Dear mother and Mildred,
 I have been sent of to a military registration because of Lincoln's plan of making a army because of Fort Sumter. There is a lot of confusion and high anxiety. I saw heavy artillery getting transported where the Battle of Fort Sumter has taken place. I got promoted to be a sergeant for the union and I will be stationed around Louisiana in case of any problems that could escalate. My fellow soldiers are horrified because they said the south is a scary place where a lot of bad things happen. Mildred I was thinking about what you told me before I got shipped off and I am scared of what would happen if the south found me. Would they put me back in slavery or kill me because we ran off? I feel this war can have a lot of casualties on both sides because of what the debate over slavery has become. Anyway, I will write you guys as soon as I can. I love you guys and I will be back as soon as I can.
From your son and brother Edward

Comments