Alvin Cobb - letter home

April 15, 1861

My dear Amy Cobb,
Training camp has exhausted the life out of me. I can barely walk without my aching leg screaming for rest. There aren’t many my color here but I know that all this training will lead to great victory. After Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers after the surrender of Ft Sumter, many of the men here began to dig in more to the event. The Northern States responded positively to the event but the "border-states" were not to fond and Lincoln received both support and criticism from editorials. I don’t know how much longer I can stand these conditions. The food is almost as dry as the sand by the sea. Despite all the trouble yet to come, I know that I am doing what is right for our people. I hope to see you soon my dear sister.

Love,
Alv

Comments