Corporal Dalia Blackburn- Journal Entry



April 16, 1861

After the surrender of Fort Sumter our president, Abraham Lincoln, called for 75,000 volunteers to form an army and I joined to fight. I was willing to take a big risk because I know I could die in battle and my wife is waiting for me and expecting, but the key to our freedom is the victory of the war and we got to get the job because I want to meet my kid. Most of the Northern states responded positively and started sending troops, but the “border states” didn’t respond as the Northern states did. Many people gave their opinions and they supported or criticized our president.  

April 20,1861

The first casualties of the war are in Baltimore in the 19th of April. Our soldiers were heading to Washington and citizens started to struck the soldiers resulting in 11 casualties in total. It was gruesome, but as long as I look forward and know that after the war we will be free. Although the war is about to start I miss my wife and my father, but I need to move forward to set us all free.


Help A Brother, Free Another!

Comments