Edward Dunn Letter 1863

Dear Mother and Mildred,
Sorry that you have not heard from me lately because this dreadful war. I was in the most horrific sights of violence that nobody could possibly imagine. I survived the Battle of Gettysburg which lasted over two days. My troops were pushed in into Gettysburg because the rebels got reinforcement. For the next two days we were fighting with everything we had while rebel troops kept charging up. I was part of the Maine regiment and we ran out of ammunition. Our leader made us charge at the rebels with our bayonets which was the worst thing I have been a part of. The last day I moved to the center of the town where all of the troops were. Suddenly I saw cannon balls fly over us. I guess general Lee was trying to take us out. He failed and we made him and his troops retreat. After that we won the battle and I got to return to camp to rest up. Any way I love both of you and I can't wait to see you both again.
From Edward.

Comments