1862 Blog - Alvin Cobb (Hauger)

July 1, 1862

My dear sister,

The “Seven Day Battle” has unfortunately resulted in a loss for us. Our troops fought 5 battles between General Lees troops for over 7 days to hopefully weaken them but we did not manage to succeed. Our new General McClellan was forced to retreat to The James River which was devastating for us soldiers for our hearts desired to fight but the risk was to high. I have begun to question the intelligence of our new General for he does not seem very open minded. Many have said that McClellans leadership has dwindled the unions prestige. My faith for this war has weakened over the pasta couple of days. You could not believe  what seeing tons of dead bodies everywhere does to your spirit. I hope this war ends soon for I have lost thousands of companions each day as this nightmare spreads. I hope you and Father Alfred are well and that God will bring me home soon.

Your brother,
Alvin

Comments